Saturday, April 17, 2010

Preston and Lindsey's Ultimate Adventure

As Keegan so eloquently and skillfully informed you all, we had an awesome TOUCH project day serving the homeless and being immersed in new situations.
Speaking of new situations. .... I had an exciting adventure of my own.
Preston and I left the Jefferson Bridge around 3pm, excited to return home to relax and work on homework. Leonard had other plans. 
If you guys don't know who Leonard is, let me enlighten you. Leonard is my 1987 mustard-puke Toyota Camry.
All was going fine.. We were cruising casually and cordially down corners, enjoying the sun and the breeze that the open windows brought us. When we slowed to a stop by an intersection, that is when all the action took place. We came to a stop and heard a loud "Calaaaappp shesjhca sjfalkjl". We simply thought it was weird but didn't think much more about it. A homeless couple started shouting and cussing incoherently at us but we smiled and tried not to bring any attention or react in any way. When the light turned green, I applied gas and tried to go... This time we heard an even louder "CALAAAAAAP DALKJALJRE DSJVFAKEHGOIAWEG" It sounded almost as if we were continually running something over. My immediate thought was that my bumper had fallen off and it was stuck under my car. The homeless couple screamed even louder at us, "KARMA! KARMA! #%!@$&* THAT'S WHAT YOU GET! *#&@ *#r$&@ *#%#^" Preston quickly hopped out and looked under the car... Nothing. Cars began to honk and the homeless people began to scream even louder. I flicked on my hazards and people began to go around.
"TURN IT OFF.. DON'T LET IT EXPLODE, DON'T LET IT EXPLODE! IT'S GOING TO BLOW" the lady continued to screech.
We put it in neutral and began to back it up out of the road a little more. The homeless couple's attitude suddenly flipped and they began to help us. They helped us push the car... and a little more. Then we decided to push the car into a nearby driveway so it would be completely out of the busy, sketchy intersection. The homeless woman felt that she could turn the car much better than I so she continually fought for the steering wheel. "NO, YER GOT TO TURN IT DIS WAY... YOUR WHEELS LOCKED UP! YOUR WHEELS LOCKED UP" I got into my car as she fought to continue to help me. "LET ME DRIVE YOUR CAR!" We knew what we were doing and after I suggested for her to help push she kind of paused in her thought process and went to help push. The car got pushed halfway up the slanted driveway and a lady came out of a nearby building and told us that we couldn't keep the car there. We explained that we were just getting it out of traffic.
Leonard would start but every time we tried to move he would make his loud, screeching, "there's something wrong with me" sound. We found a shiny brass piece of him that was covered in oil up by the stop light. When we pushed him up more into the driveway he had pooped out another piece. Discouraged and confused I called my dad but got no answer. I then called Dad 2 (Mr. Jones) and he and mom 2 headed over. I got a hold of my dad back home and all was well. The tow truck came (after getting a little lost) and Leonard was delivered to the car doctor. The lady that told us we couldn't park in the driveway actually stayed with us the whole time and ended up being a night student at NCU. Small world!
The driveway that we were parked in was that of safe houses for women and children rehabilitating from drugs and alcohol.

It was a great bonding time for Preston and I.

Four Hours of Serving the Homeless + 3 Hours Dealing with Leonard = Exhausted College Kids

Thank you so much Jesus for keeping it sunny, for having family that cares, and for watching over us at all times. It was a pretty good and easy first break down and I am sooo glad I wasn't by myself. Thank you Preston! =]

Mr. and Mrs. Jones later told us that we were at one of the most sketchy, dangerous places to be.  It was so good that it was sunny out and that we got out of there before nightfall.

Again, we are so thankful. It was quite an eventful day. Now we are all going to top it off by making Preston watch the movie Matilda.

We'll try to post more!
Have a great rest of the weekend!

Lindsey

8 comments:

  1. Leonard is a funny name for a car..... I thought it was Lenard. huh. well maybe he broke down on you because you can't spell his name. If i was your car I wouldn't want to take you places either if you couldn't remember my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Leonard

    BAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's weird because it's still spelled like LEEE-OH-NARD. i'm just going to call him NARD from now on. Boop! Plane! Dingo spit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't talk about your mother that way!

    It's not my fault that the English language is weird and confusing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh*.....I'm so glad that Jesus took care of you!!!And a big, gianormous hug to Mr. and Mrs. Jones!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can blame Bob English for that Lindsey.

    On another note

    "I've had the adoption papers since I was old enough to Xerox."

    And now the whole little group knows why I want telekinesis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is LEE-OH-NARD okay?? SO glad you guys are alright! Aren't cars so frustrating? Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha.. Sam.. That's funny.

    Allie, I hope Leonard is doing alright but I won't know until the at the earliest Monday. We shall see! Hopefully it isn't too spendy!

    ReplyDelete