Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thank You Target

Today I took a day for myself and headed to Mount Vernon (45 minutes off the island!). It is a town where, compared to little Oak Harbor, stores like KOHLS, JCPENNY'S, and ROSS are in abundance. In preparation for my Pennsylvanian departure I needed to pick up some more  clothes. After visiting the mall I stopped by Target.



 Being the big spender that I am, I needed to use my Target gift card and my debit card to pay for my purchase. The cashier man was nice enough but I found it funny that on his screen it said, "How ELSE do you plan to pay for your purchase" (When my gift card didn't cover the entire cost). I have seen this at Target before. The computer is actually programmed with sentences that instruct the cashier in what to say.

Have people become so socially inept in communication that they need a computer to tell them how to say things. It's almost as if the computer hadn't hinted of how to inform me I still had more to pay, the guy would sit there and waste away in his own awkward fretting.

"Thank you, have a good day" (Smile and act happy). It's a good thing the computer tells you what to say or we might just forget how to be courteous.

I actually envied the cashier-computer man for a bit. If only I had one of those in my own real life. So many awkward moments or times of unfiltering could have been avoided!

I think I'm going to make little handheld sentence prompters. I'll make millions.

How do you handle hysteric, bawling girls?

 JUST PULL OUT YOUR PERSONAL HANDHELD!

Loooooooong moment of pure, agonizing silence and your screaming "BAP!" theory fell through.. what do you do?


PULL OUT YOUR PERSONAL HANDHELD SENTENCE PROMPTER!

"Oh no, oh no, oh no.. It's my turn to pray next..I have no clue what to say...."

JUST PULL OUT YOUR PERSONAL HANDHELD SENTENCE PROMPTER!

The personal sentence maker (the name is still under construction) is perfect for all occasions!

DATES! FUNERALS! LOUNGING! FAMILY TIME! WEDDINGS! A DAY AT THE PARK!

Thanks Target for inspiring such colossal ideas!

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh so hard Linds! GET THAT THING PATENTED ;)

    I've never noticed this before, next time we're at Target (uh, tomorrow!) I'm totally going to look for this.

    :)

    ReplyDelete